2021 Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute
June 18–August 6, 2021 | Online
ENROLLMENT CHECKLIST (full details below):
- Step 1: Join the HUSI Class of 2021 by filling out the HUSI Enrollment Questionnaire
- Step 2: Apply for the HUSI Scholarship, if applicable
- Step 3: Create your Harvard Summer School Online Services account
- Step 4: Register for classes at the Harvard Summer School
Students interested in HUSI 2021 may address any questions about the program and/or application process to:
- Dr. Serhiy Bilenky, HUSI Program Director: email@example.com
- Dr. Megan K. Duncan Smith, HURI Programs Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
We ask all prospective students to fill out the HUSI Enrollment Questionnaire prior to formal registration with Harvard Summer School. We strongly encourage you to complete this short online form ASAP so that we can include you in all further HUSI related communications, announcements, and updates throughout the spring and early summer. We fully understand that for many students, final registration decisions may depend on available funding. Enroll now
- ALL students who register for one or more HUSI courses offered by the Harvard Summer School are invited to take part in the Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute and warmly welcomed into the HUSI Class of 2021.
- HUSI courses are primarily designed for advanced undergraduate students and post-graduates of all kinds, including recent college graduates, current graduate students, academics, and working professionals. We also welcome exceptional high school students, but we recommend that they contact their instructor(s) prior to registration.
- Please refer directly to the Harvard Summer School Course Registration Requirements and Deadlines. Please note the English Proficiency requirement, which must be met before you will be able to register. Some courses also have associated prerequisites.
The HUSI Scholarship: Due April 1, 2021
The Ukrainian Research Institute at Harvard University (HURI) offers a limited number of full and partial scholarships to students participating in the Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute (HUSI) who show academic promise and a need for financial assistance.
*Please note that eligible students who apply for the HUSI Scholarship to support enrollment in "Ukrainian for Reading Knowledge" should also apply for a summer FLAS (Foreign Language Area Studies) Fellowship.
"Ukrainian for Reading Knowledge" is an 8-credit FLAS-eligible language course. Harvard and non-Harvard graduate and undergraduate students may thus apply for a Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship through Harvard's Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies and through their home institution, provided it participates in this US Department of Education sponsored program. FLAS applicants must be either US citizens or permanent residents to be eligible. Please note that the deadline to apply for the Davis Center's 2021 FLAS Fellowship is February 10, 2021. This fellowship includes both tuition assistance and a stipend for living expenses.
Other Funding Sources
US and international students should fully exhaust all available funding opportunities at their home institutions. Canadian students may be able to receive help from the Ontario Student Assistance Program, which offers a mix of grants and loans for students taking classes at approved institutions.
HUSI's three Ukrainian Studies courses are offered through the Harvard Summer School. Students must meet all HSS requirements and deadlines. Submission of the HUSI Enrollment Questionnaire and/or HUSI Scholarship application does not constitute registration.
In order to register, students must first create an HSS Online Services account. Please create this account as soon as possible, ideally in March or early April. You will not be allowed to register until all requirements are met. Non-native English speakers should take notice of HSS's English Proficiency requirement. Necessary supporting documentation must be uploaded to Online Services for approval by HSS well in advance.
Students planning to register for "Ukrainian for Reading Knowledge" should note that this class has limited enrollment and was full in 2020. Please register early or risk missing out.
Please closely review all HSS Registration instructions and contact HSS Enrollment Services with any questions, at email@example.com (Students are encouraged to cc HUSI Programs Coordinator, Megan Duncan Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org).