2022 Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute
June 15–August 5, 2022 | Online
ENROLLMENT CHECKLIST (full details below):
- Step 1: Join the HUSI Class of 2022 by filling out the HUSI Enrollment Form
- Step 2: Apply for the HUSI Scholarship, if applicable
- Step 3: Create your "MyDCE" student account and Pre-Register
- Step 4: Register for your course(s) at the Harvard Summer School
Students interested in the Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute (HUSI) may address any questions about the program and/or application process to:
- Dr. Serhiy Bilenky, HUSI Program Director: email@example.com
- Dr. Megan K. Duncan Smith, HURI Programs Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
We ask all prospective students to fill out the HUSI Enrollment Form prior to formal registration with Harvard Summer School. We strongly encourage you to complete this short online form ASAP so that we can include you in all further HUSI related communications, announcements, and updates throughout the spring and early summer. We fully understand that for many students, final registration decisions may depend on available funding. Enroll now
- ALL students who register for one or more HUSI courses offered by the Harvard Summer School are invited to take part in the Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute.
- HUSI courses are designed for advanced undergraduate students and post-graduates of all kinds, including recent college graduates, current graduate students, academics, and working professionals. We also welcome exceptional high school students, but we recommend that they contact their instructor(s) prior to registration.
- Please refer directly to the Harvard Summer School Course Registration Requirements and Deadlines. Please carefully review the English Proficiency requirement, which must be met before you will be able to register. Once ELP documents have been submitted, the review process usually takes 1-2 weeks, so don't wait. Some courses also have associated prerequisites.
The HUSI Scholarship: Due April 14, 2022
Each year, the Ukrainian Research Institute at Harvard University (HURI) awards numerous tuition scholarships to support participation in the Harvard Ukrainian Summer Institute (HUSI) and enrollment in HUSI courses through the Harvard Summer School (HSS). Scholarships are awarded based on demonstration of academic merit, academic or professional contribution to Ukrainian studies, and financial need
*Please note that eligible students who apply for the HUSI Scholarship to support enrollment in "Ukrainian for Reading Knowledge" should also apply for a summer FLAS (Foreign Language Area Studies) Fellowship at their home institution if available and/or through the Davis Center at Harvard.
Summer FLAS Fellowship
"Ukrainian for Reading Knowledge" is an 8-credit FLAS-eligible language course. Harvard and non-Harvard graduate and undergraduate students may thus apply for a Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship through Harvard's Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies and through their home institution, provided it participates in this US Department of Education sponsored program. FLAS applicants must be either US citizens or permanent residents to be eligible. Please note that the deadline to apply for the Davis Center's Summer FLAS Fellowship is February 9th [DEADLINE EXTENDED to February 26, 2022 at noon for HUSI applicants!] This fellowship includes both tuition assistance and a stipend for living expenses. Full details HERE.
Other Funding Sources
US and international students should fully exhaust all available funding opportunities at their home institutions. Canadian students may be able to receive help from the Ontario Student Assistance Program, which offers a mix of grants and loans for students taking classes at approved institutions.
HUSI's three Ukrainian studies courses are offered through the Harvard Summer School. Students must meet all HSS requirements and deadlines. Submission of the HUSI Enrollment Form and/or HUSI Scholarship Application does not constitute registration.
In order to offiically register, students must first create a "MyDCE" student account with the Harvard Summer School and complete the HSS Pre-Registration process. Please do so as soon as possible, ideally in March. This requires separate log-in credentials than the HarvardKey used to access the HUSI Scholarship application. You will not be allowed to register until all requirements are met. Non-native English speakers should take notice of HSS's English Proficiency requirement. If applicable, students will need to submit proof of English Proficiency during Pre-Registration and will not be able to register or accept the scholarship unless HSS approves the required documentation.
After you have completed Pre-Registration, please officially register for your chosen course(s).
Scholarship applicants must be fully registered before the payment deadline in mid-May in order to receive the award. If your plans change or you do not receive sufficient funding, you will have the opportunity to drop the course.
Students planning to register for "Ukrainian for Reading Knowledge" should note that this class has limited enrollment and was full in 2020 and 2021. Please register early or risk missing out!
Please closely review all HSS Registration instructions and contact HSS Enrollment Services with any questions, at email@example.com (Students are encouraged to cc HUSI Programs Coordinator, Megan Duncan Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org).